Ssshhh don’t tell your cats that International Cat Day is August 8; cats think every day should be International Cats Day! If you’re a cat parent or considering adopting a cat there are many things to think about, but one thing you won’t have to think about is the love your furry new companion will give!
If you’re new to cats, here are a few items you may not have thought about:
- Cats DO like their people. Contrary to popular belief, cats thrive when they are with their people or other cats or dogs in the house. A cat may be more solitary than a dog, but cats get lonely.
- Cats can be trained. If you don’t want your cat to scratch the couch or the door frame then offer them an alternative. Put a scratch post next to the area they’re scratching. Try out different scratch post types -- carpet, sisal rope, cardboard, sandpaper-type. If you have a motivated scratcher, use CLAWGUARD products to protect your furniture and home; This may help train the cat to not scratch those particular items -- it’s a win-win.
- Cats love to play. Yes, cats love to sleep -- a LOT, but they also need and require exercise. Invest in some catnip toys, feather on a string toys, interactive food puzzles and even a paper bag or box. Play with your cat to make certain they’re getting exercise and are healthy.
To more fully celebrate International Cat Day here are a few suggestions
- Volunteer at a local shelter
- Adopt a cat or kitten
- Buy your cat a new toy
- Make a donation to a local shelter or rescue
- Visit a cat cafe
- Take your cat to the vet for his or her annual check-up
- Brush your cat to eliminate hairballs
- Get a safety release collar for your cat along with his name and your contact information in case he escapes
- Have a Cat Day party and invite your friends to bring their cats and let them have a play date!
How will you celebrate International Cat Day and cats every day?
CLAWGUARD builds shields that help protect homes from damage caused by dogs and cats. Products include door shields, couch guards, and universal protective tape that protects commonly scratched areas like window sills, furniture, banisters, weatherstripping and more.