Tagged "Dog Behavior"
Where did the time go? If you’re scrambling for last minute Christmas gift ideas for pet lovers on your shopping list, we have compiled a few of our favorites. Our favorite pet-centric and pet-parent-centric gifts go beyond the dog bowl, dog bone and cat sweater variety!
Take the stress out of buying the perfect gift for that friend, family member or work colleague who has everything:
Subscription boxes are all the rage -- even for our dogs
PupJoy is a customizable subscription for your dog. Just as pet parents love getting their subscription boxes, so too will your dog. Your dog can get pawsome gifts and you can choose from custom box plans that will bring joy throughout the year to the recipient and the dog(s) in his or her life. Customize your PupJoy box with flexible quarterly, bi-monthly or monthly delivery options. There are also options for multiple dogs or dogs with big appetites and you can choose from an all treat or an all toy option.
PupJoy was recently selected as a Purina Pet Care Innovation Prize finalist.
Never leave your dog home alone again!
PetChatz HD is a Greet & Treat® videophone that allows the pet parent the ability to interact with your “home alone pet” from anywhere. PetChatz provides 2-way video chats, treat-dispense, aromatherapy, sound and motion detection and the ability to stream DOGTV. Compatible with PawCall, the interactive gaming, and calling accessory.
PetChatz HD and PawCall create Digital Daycare in the safety of your home.
Keep the fun coming for cats throughout the year
KitNipBox subscription boxes contain high-quality cat toys, all-natural treats and other fun, healthy cat products. The KitNipBox includes unique items designed to keep your cat happy, healthy, and fit. Examples include fun cat toys, delicious treats, must-have accessories, health and hygiene products, innovative new gadgets, and awesome surprises!
Keep your dog entertained while you’re away
DOGTV provides unique, original programming that has been scientifically-developed to provide 24-hour, dog-approved content. DOGTV’s channels feature programming that provides your dog with relaxation, stimulation and exposure to environmental stressors. The channels work together and give your dog the ideal balance for his daily routine. DOGTV is available on-line and that means your dog can watch programming on the road or at home while you’re away.
The DOGTV holiday gift packs retails for $49.99 + s&h for a six-month DOGTV On-Line subscription or $79.99 + s&h for a twelve-month DOGTV On-Line subscription. If you buy a DOGTV holiday gift pack, the recipient will also receive special bonus items including: a DOGTV T-Shirt and Portable Water Bowl, and other pet-focused items valued at more than $80. See more at: http://dogtvonline.com/select-pack
Pets in the house means pet hair all over the house!
PetWISP is the ideal gift for the pet lover who doesn’t love all of the pet hair. The PetWISP broom uses a patented Bristle Seal Technology to quickly and easily pick up pet hair. The short, indestructible polymer-based bristles positioned at a 90-degree angle to the surface creates a bristle bond like none other. The MiniWISP ($12.99) is a great stocking stuffer. The WISP Cleaning Set ($39.95) is a great gift for any pet parent. Visit www.petwisp.com.
Helping cats and their guardians live happily together
Do you have a friend or family member who has a cat with behavioral issues? Why not gift them a certificate to speak with a certified cat behavior consultant who can help address “naughty cat” issues. Marci Koski of Feline Behavior Solutions works with cat parents to prevent cats from being abandoned, abused or surrendered to shelters as the result of treatable behavioral issues. She provides cat parents with the education and tools to prevent or treat behavior problems. You can purchase a certificate for an in-person or a virtual or Skype training session for the cat lover on your list.
For the technology lover on your list
You know that dogs are smart and research has shown that regularly exercising your dog’s brain keeps them happy, healthy and out of trouble. PupPod is a fun, interactive, high-tech puzzle game that gives your dog the mental stimulation he craves and automatically keeps challenging him as he learns.
This is an ideal toy for those times when you can’t be home to entertain your dog, or when you simply want to help him exercise his brain! PupPod’s combination of sensors, lights and sounds to encourage your dog to use his brain to solve a puzzle and earn a reward. Puzzles start out simple and get more difficult as your dog learns. Stats are recorded after each session, and achievements can be shared on social media and in the PupPod community. Visit www.puppod.com and use the code FLASH30 for $30 off.
A gift for a pet parent with an anxious or destructive pet
Of course we think CLAWGUARD is one of the best gifts for the pet lovers on your shopping list! We love our dogs and cats, but they can damage our homes when we’re away and the holidays can be especially stressful for them. Are you worried about going to visit friends and family or staying in a hotel and having your dog or cat claw or scratch the doors or windowsills? If so, you’ll be glad you have CLAWGUARD, the ultimate in home scratch protection.
CLAWGUARD Door Shields and CLAWGUARD Protection Tape products protect your home where pets scratch most; the Door Shields guard doors, door frames and provide partial wall coverage. Protection Tape can be used on window sills, furniture, glass, weather stripping and more. Designed to match any décor and no hardware needed! Learn about CLAWGUARD, how it works and for helpful pet tips.
There is still time to buy that perfect gift for the pet lover in your life -- but don’t delay too much longer!
Are you looking forward to the holidays? Delicious foods and time spent with family usually equal fun times for the humans. Do your dogs or cats love the holidays? Do they embrace the influx of guests? If you travel to visit family, do your dogs or cats travel with you and do they enjoy staying in hotels or in unfamiliar homes?
Chances are your pets get stressed during the holidays. They are faced with new people in their house or they are traveling to homes they may have never been before. And a stressed out dog or cat can mean you may have a destructive dog or cat on your hands.
A dog or cat who doesn’t jump or scratch your doors or claw at your window sills might just do that during the holidays. What can you do to protect your pets from a “time out” and your home, a hotel, or your relative’s home from damage this holiday season?
Here are a few tips from CLAWGUARD and its ultimate ultimate pet scratch protection products:
Distract them. If your pets have toys to play with and bones to gnaw on, they may be disinclined to chew a window sill or scratch a hotel room door.
Tire them out. A tired dog and cat is a happy, content dog or cat. Take your dog into the yard and play fetch. If the weather isn’t cooperating for outdoor play, you can play fetch indoors. Give your dog a toy like a Kong that is filled with tasty treats he will have to work to get to. Give your cats some catnip filled toys and play with her to keep her entertained. Make certain you have scratching posts or that you take scratching pads with you so your cat has access to that instead of a couch in a hotel!
Stick to routines. If your pets eat at a particular time, stick with that dinner time and with food they are accustomed to. If your dog goes to sleep at a particular time and in a crate or with her favorite blanket or toy, don’t forget to bring those items with you if you’re traveling. If you’re hosting the holidays at your home, make sure your pet can get away from the crowds if she needs to.
Introduce your dog or cat to everyone -- if they are amenable. Chances are you know your pet best and you know whether he or she will want to meet the strangers. If you have a friendly dog or cat and curious children or relatives, introduce them to one another. If you know your pet doesn’t relish being petted by strangers, then don’t force an introduction.
Take a hike. Spend quality time alone with your dog and get out for a walk. Let your dog run (on a leash) to get rid of some of his excess energy. Going for a walk will help your dog expend his energy, tire him out and help you make room for pumpkin pie!
Here are some other tips to consider for your pet and her safety this holiday season:
- Don’t feed her table scraps.
- Keep alcohol and chocolate away from pets
- Make certain your dog is microchipped and/or leashed and collared, especially in an unfamiliar location
- Put your cats in a safe space so they don’t dash out the door when people are coming in
- Spend quality time with your pets to calm and soothe them during this hectic time. Chances are you also know that the simple act of petting your cat or dog will lower your own blood pressure and calm you!
If you really want to be a great guest and assure you get your pet deposit back if you stay at a hotel take your Original CLAWGUARD Doorshield or your Heavy Duty CLAWGUARD Doorshield with you on your trips this holiday season. CLAWGUARD is easy to travel with, install at a hotel or relative’s home and makes you (and your dogs and cats) welcome house guests because you won’t have to worry about your pets clawing the doors.
We love our pets, but sometimes they don’t love our doors or our windowsills! True, they don’t usually know any better and when their claws are damaging the door, the door frame or the window sills it’s because they’re bored or they are so excited to welcome us home that they jump and scratch.
As pet parents we know our pets don’t cause damage to our homes out of spite. They get bored. They get excited and they damage property. As a pet parent it’s up to us to train away “bad” behaviors through positive reinforcement, but it can’t hurt to use CLAWGUARD Door Shields or CLAWGUARD Protective Tape as a way to further protect the investment in our homes or in the security deposit we paid on our apartment.
If you’re not certain how CLAWGUARD Products can protect your property and make it more difficult for your precious pup to inadvertently cause damage, here are our top uses the products:
- Use it on windowsills. If you have cats in the house you know they love to get their claws into places they aren’t supposed to. Sometimes no matter how many scratching posts you have available, your cat will still want to claw a windowsill. CLAWGUARD Protective Tape can protect the windowsill from scratching.
- Protect windowsills from a chewing dog. Dogs get bored and do things we just wish they wouldn’t. Have you ever had a dog lie on the back of the couch and mindlessly gnaw on the windowsill? We’ve heard that it happens! Dogs are weird, right?! If you have a dog who likes to chew when he’s bored, CLAWGUARD Protective Tape will protect the windowsill.
- A dog who enthusiastically greets you when you come home is a joy to behold. This is especially true if you have had a bad day at work or have just battled your way through rush hour traffic, having your beloved dog greeting you at the door can lift your mood and your spirits. If, however, your dog is so excited to see you that she jumps up on the door and can’t wait for you to open it, you can protect it with CLAWGUARD Door Shield. Of course, you can use positive reinforcement training to prevent your dog from jumping on the door in her excitement at your homecoming, but if you’ve tried and it just hasn’t worked, protect the door and let your dog be as enthusiastic as she wants!
- Do your dogs love to be outside? Then they want to come inside. Oh, and then they want to go outside again? You see where we are going with this right? If you have dogs (or cats) who spend the day scratching the door to get your attention to go in and out, CLAWGUARD Door Shields can protect the door both inside and outside. It won’t stop your dogs from wanting to go in, then out, then in again, but it will protect the doorjamb.
- You want to protect your windowsills, doors and door jambs, but you’re just not “handy” with tools. If you can wield a pair of scissors you can easily customize the CLAWGUARD Protective Tape to fit your doors and windows and protect your home. There is no hardware required and that makes “installation” quick and easy enough for anyone to use.
- What if you have relied on hearing your dog or cat scratch the door when he has to go outside? CLAWGUARD Door Shields have a smooth side and a textured side. This lets you determine whether you want to hear the scratching or whether you want to muffle the sound. The Door Shields also comes with optional Velcro fasteners to aid in the stability of the CLAWGUARD Door Shields – something that some of our customers requested.
Don’t worry about having to leave your CLAWGUARD Products behind if you move out of your current home or apartment. You can remove them and bring them with you; it’s an investment in home protection you can use and re-use.
Have questions about CLAWGUARD Products and whether it’s right for you, your home and your pets? Watch the video that was the inspiration behind CLAWGUARD and then contact us if you have more questions!